Septic systems are underground wastewater systems used in areas that do not have a central sewer system, such as those found outside of Edmonton of its surrounding communities.
Septic systems work by removing wastewater from your home and storing it in a tank buried underground. In this tank, substances such as the water from your showers, laundry, dishwasher and toilet are broken down and removed naturally.
A typical septic system should last 15-40 years but that all depends on its upkeep and different conditions. Eventually, the septic system for your home may need to be replaced.
Thankfully, our expert technicians at Peak Sewer & Underground Services and ready and able to help you should you need a new septic system installed!
Septic System Installation
Whether you’re building a new home or the time has come to replace your existing system, Peak Sewers & Underground Services has a team of certified technicians who can get the job done!
We utilize our backhoe and hydrovac services to provide you with quick, professional and affordable installations.
Septic System Design
Not all septic systems are made equally and it’s important to consider the size of your home and water usage before choosing a tank to hold your wastewater.
When it comes to designing a septic system, considerations are made including the recommended septic tank volume, onsite wastewater soil absorption system (aka, the drainfield or leach field) as well as water usage and site conditions.
Here are some of the factors our technicians look at when designing a septic system for your home:
- Size: Most jurisdictions require a minimum of 1000 gallons but the right size depends on daily water volume usage
- Material: Septic tanks can be constructed of approved materials such as concrete, fiberglass or polyethylene
- Location: While septic tanks are usually placed close to your home to accommodate shorter waste-line runs, your property’s landscaping needs to be taken into consideration
- Leach Field Trench: The size of your leach field trench can depend on the soils found on your property as well as the percolation rate
As you can see, many factors come into play when it comes to designing a septic system for your home. Having the right design can make the difference between a system that lasts for years and one that causes problems.
It goes without saying that septic system design is best left to the experts!
Signs You May Need a New Septic System
Even though septic systems are designed to last 15-40 years, that doesn’t mean that certain conditions won’t deteriorate their operation before their time.
It is highly recommended that if you do have a septic system on your Edmonton property, that you have it regularly inspected and maintained to prevent any costly repairs or replacements.
However, septic systems can only last so long and will eventually require replacement.
If you notice any of the following signs, it’s time to have an expert take a look at your septic system:
- Sewage is backing up through your sinks, toilets, showers or other drains
- There are puddles in your yard, specifically around your septic tank
- The grass around your septic tank is particularly green and growing faster than the rest of your lawn
Once you notice these signs, or any other unusual issues with your septic tank, it’s time to call in the experts!
Our team at Peak Sewer & Underground Services can diagnose the issue and recommend the best course of action – whether that is a full replacement or a simple repair.
A septic system in need of replacement is not something you want to put off! If your system is showing signs that it’s ready to go, it’s time for you to call the professionals.
Contact our technicians at Peak Sewer & Underground Services to have a look at your septic system and design the perfect system to suit your home’s needs!