Water mains are the main lines in a water supply system. When they break, it can cause a huge headache for everyone. A broken water main can lead to flooding, road closures, property damage, water outages, boil water advisories, and other major inconveniences. While water main breaks are often unavoidable and unpredictable, repairing them quickly can mitigate excessive damage and inconvenience.
Water Main Repair Services
Depending on the severity and location of the break, repairing a water main can take several hours or more to find and repair. Peak Sewer & Underground Services has the proper knowledge, skills, and equipment to find, diagnose, and repair water main breaks in a timely manner.
We understand the importance of handling water issues as quickly as possible, which is why our team is proud to offer 24/7 emergency services and immediate response times for sewer and drainage issues. Day or night, large or small, we’re prepared to offer quality workmanship and customer satisfaction.
Signs of a water main break
Water main breaks are an incredibly serious problem that need to be addressed as soon as possible. Knowing what to look out for can save valuable time.
- Water coming up from the ground: If you notice water bubbling up from the ground like a spring, it’s a good indication that there is some sort of break or leak. In some instances, the water may actually spray up into the air like a fountain.
- Flooding: Another incredibly common indication of a water main break is flooding. If you notice water pooling in an unusual place, it’s an indication that something is wrong. Flooding becomes especially dangerous in winter months, as the water freezes and creates a hazards for drivers, pedestrians, and work crews.
- Decreased water pressure: While decreased water pressure can be a symptom of a variety of different plumbing issues, when combined with other symptoms it could point to a water main break.
- Discoloured water: Just like water pressure, water discolouration can be the result of any number issues. That being said, it should never be ignored.
Why do water main breaks happen?
Much like any pipe, there are many different things that can cause a water main to break. Most of the time, it is completely unavoidable.
Here are some of the most common causes:
- Aging pipes: as pipes age, they can corrode and the walls become thin. This create the perfect conditions for a break, especially when combined with temperature or pressure changes.
- Frozen pipes: just like pipes in your home, water mains are susceptible to freezing during the cold Edmonton winters.
- Shifting ground: as the ground freezes and thaws, it expands and contracts around water mains. This adds additional stress to the structures and can lead to a break. Water mains are particularly susceptible to this during extreme temperature shifts, where the ground may rapidly expand or contract.
- Construction damage: Any time there is digging in an area, water lines are at risk for potential damage. This is one particular cause that can be avoided by contacting Alberta One-Call and having them mark water and other utility lines beforehand.
24/7 Emergency Services
A broken water main is a serious issue that needs to be resolved as quickly as possible. Peak Sewer & Underground Services is proud to offer 24-hour emergency services, offering immediate response times when the worst happens. Contact Peak Sewer today for quick, affordable, and reliable service.